Thursday, January 27, 2011

Family Secrets...

You would have had to be living under a rock this week, if you have not heard the shocking news about Daytime Queen, Oprah Winfrey. On Monday, the talk show host revealed her family secret that she has a half-sister she never knew anything about.
Shocker, right! Well at least it was for me. Sorta. It wasn’t the secret so much that took me by surprise; it was seeing the rare family dynamic of Oprah’s family that made me scratch my head a couple of times.
I have always wondered what exactly life was like for everyone else who was related to Oprah, especially her immediate family. Think about it, if you know anything about Oprah, you know she very rarely discusses her family and in fact, it was on Monday’s show that for the first time I had ever even seen her mother, let alone nieces and nephews.
Seeing the episode and everything play out within the hour, it was everything that wasn’t said that spoke volumes. I couldn’t help but notice or get the impression that Oprah has a very strained or at least, a very distant relationship with her family.
Oprah got pretty choked up when she first sat down to talk with her sister and talked about how in the past people have tried to “sell” her out many times. I have to wonder if those “people” she is referring to are the very same people that have her blood running through their veins.
Could you imagine being Oprah, and having a whole family that knew things about you before you were Oprah? I’m sure it is a very uneasy feeling of having to think that these people may want to use you as a way to make a profit.
Now of course, this is all speculation and I am simply going by the impression that I got from watching. However, I like to think that I am a very good people observer, and was able to observe a lot on that episode.
Take a look at the show, yourself and tell me what you think, or better yet, if you sense what I sense.




1 comment:

  1. Including the video was a great idea. The blog is off to a good start!

    Dr C

    ReplyDelete