Sunday, February 20, 2011

Grammy Awards: Glass Half Full or Half Empty??


Depends on how you look at it right? Well that question applies to the heavily debated 53rd Annual Grammy Awards, which took place this past weekend.
Since the broadcasting, I have heard so much chatter about the telecast and the reviews on who won, who performed, and what people wore. It seems as if general consensus is that this year’s showcase was a pretty big letdown, despite it’s out of the roof ratings that gave the show their highest in the past decade. So how exactly should we look at this year Grammy Awards? Well…lets examine both ways.
For some, they felt as if there were a lot of let downs, not only in performances but also in winners. Eminem who led the pack with a whopping 10 nominations, he sadly only left with two. I think the biggest upset was the shocking announcement that an artist, unknown to many, took home the award for Best New Artist. The moment Esperanza Spalding’s name was announced, many were left scratching their heads, including myself. The Beiber Bandwagon immediately went in uproar and I think his diehard fans would have even welcomed Drake to take the award but not an Esp-a-thingy. However, I have to say after doing my research I can see why the beautiful Oregon native did. She is crazy talented.
Eminem

Esperanza Spalding

Onto some other glaring disses and misses, for a show that ran for over 3 hours, it surprises me that there were only about 10 on-screen award categories. Most were announced during the red carpet. Uh….what? Is this not the Grammy AWARDS? I tuned in to actually see awards. I remember watching this event as a young child and getting that fun, anticipation feeling as they announce the winners. I haven’t gotten that feeling in the past couple of years, mainly because they rarely show awards being handed out anymore. Their focus has switched to more dazzling, note-worthy performances, which I will get into in a minute. I just hope that the Presidents and all the-powers-that-be begin to remember what made the show must see TV and it hasn’t always been performances.
As for the performances, I can see where some of the lowlights were. Before the show, one of the most anticipated performances was that of Lady Gaga’s, who opened the show last year. I was one of those who was counting down the moments until the Monster Mother herself would hit the stage and premiere her new song. I sat there while she performed and every 5 seconds that went by, I kept assuring myself, “Wait for it…that ‘it’ moment is about to happen”. Then the lights dimmed, people clapped, and they announced the next presenter. That was it? I mean was I the only one who felt as if they were missing just one more thing to elevate the performance. Instead all I got was a hair whip…
Lady Gaga

But like I said, the night wasn’t all about let downs to me. Overall, looking at the big picture, it was one of favorite Grammy’s in a while. I was pretty satisfied with the winners (not all!) but for the most part I was rooting for the underdog and all of the big winners were not the expected ones.
Arcade Fire

After the National Anthem-gate incident at the Super Bowl, I am happy to say, Christina Aguilera redeemed herself after that powerful opening number. I was a little surprised by the five women that were chosen, or even why they opened up with an Aretha Tribute to begin with, but after it was all said and done, I can see why, it set the night off to a nice start.
Aretha Franklin Tribute

My all time favorite performance was the medley between B.o.B, Bruno Mars, and Janelle Monae. It was fresh, hot and innovative. I loved every moment and the uniqueness that they each took to their songs.
I have publically declared my dislike for Justin Bieber’s music, but the performance alongside Usher left me with some type of happy, giddy feeling.  It was like watching a father and son and I couldn’t help but smile, especially when pint-sized Jaden Smith got up on stage as his parents gleamed from the audience.
Justin Bieber and Usher

All in all, I am not mad at this year’s Grammy Awards. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely! I want more “Wow” moments and less filler stuff. I can do with fewer performances, only if the performances we get knock us all off our feet. But, the show did try and it continues to do so. I can give it an A for effort and this year I saw a glimmer of hope for the rest of this decades shows. So for me, the glass that was filled with all the deliciousness that was the Grammy’s was definitely half full!

For a list of all the winners and performers, check out the official Grammy Award website at: http://www.grammy.com/

3 comments:

  1. Good post - this broadcast was one of my first experiences chatting with friends on Facebook while we watched. It was a different experience.

    There are a few writing errors - be sure to proof before you post.

    Dr C

    ReplyDelete